Courtesy of CBS Radio, Houston, Texas
CICELY MITCHELL, CBS Houston
July 18, 2013 12:00 AM
You are always told to recycle your plastic but do you know why it truly benefits our earth to do so?
Check out some of these facts about plastic and the importance of recycling plastic below inside of this installment of “Think Green Thursday”!
1. Did you know that Americans use 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour with most of them being thrown away!?
2. Recycling plastic saves twice as much energy as burning that same plastic in an incinerator.
3. If you choose to throw your plastic bag into the ocean consider this: plastic bags that are thrown into the ocean kill as many as 1,000,000 sea creatures a year. There is a such thing as the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch” that is twice the size of Texas and floats in our world’s water somewhere between San Francisco and Hawaii.
4. If you choose to recycle your plastic, then you are saving three to give times the energy generated by waste-to-energy plants.
5. According to experts, recycling one ton of plastic saves the equivalent of 1,000–2,000 gallons of gasoline!
6. As plastic water bottles are shielded from sunlight in landfills, they will stay there and not decompose for thousands of years!
So think about these facts the next time you are faced with the decision to recycle your plastic or not! Do you recycle your plastic?